Re: [RC] Curbed Hock - JANUSTUDIO

Hi Steph,

My horse popped a curb about six weeks ago. I think it had been bothering him
for a couple of years before that. Just a niggling thing that would make him
sore, but couldn't put my finger on it. Thought it was arthritis, which as it
turns out he does have also. But, he finally really injured the hock (big
spook in his paddock) and the curb became pronounced enough to tell me exactly
what was bothering him. Couldn't even put his heel to the ground, very lame at
the walk, bowed out, hot, etc.
Had a vet from Haggard Davis & Magee, Dr. Paul Thorpe to treat, as he had
been trying to diagnose his on and off again lameness. He was thrilled!  Ha,
ha.... At least it was something that could be treated. I hosed, iced his leg
until it was cool, which in his case took seven days...Then he blistered him,
stall rest for ten days, then no ridding for eight weeks. I have three more
weeks
to go, but it is still quite bowed out, and swells during the day while
standing in the stall. I haven't trotted him yet, guess I'm afraid to
look...But he
is sound at the walk....I won't be competing on him for the rest of the season
at least. Just have to hope that the arthritis isn't bothering him too.  Then
of course, I'd have to wait until his hock fuses, if it ever does...
So, now I am forced to ride that greenie, and get him ready for the
trails...I'm getting way too old for that job, I am finding...

Good luck with your horse...

Jan

In a message dated 7/21/04 12:49:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,