Re: [RC] feeding for the cold weather (Susan G?) - Gabi (Ra'anana Farm)

I had 24 horses and ponies in a 800 square meter arena.
They had no roof and no wind protection.
In the winter (Israeli winter is 3 months long, temperature never drops below zero),
They get wet and they are standing in the mud.

Just for you to know that they endured that three winters in a row, and none of them ever got sick in any way.
They had hey 24/7.It is important that they have something to munch on.
They also of course were not clipped, pulled or shaven in any way, they had all their hairs on.

Now they have stables, sometimes I am not sure what they prefer.
Horses love to be turned out and free. Grooming one another. Close with nature and its elements. Strolling around a bit.

I saw that they just put their but to the direction of the wind and stand it out.

I speak from experience that one does not need to worry too much... a horse is a horse and a human being is a human being. We do not have the same needs.

gabi