Re: [RC] feeding for the cold weather (Susan G?) - Barbara McCrary

Here on coastal CA rain does occasionally become cold.  If I see horses actually shivering, I put on wool-lined water-resistant blankets and then they're OK.  The wool absorbs the wet from the hair and insulates from the cold.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] feeding for the cold weather (Susan G?)

Horses adjust to cold very well. I would not be all that concerned as long as the horse is dry. I do not worry about snow..but I hate those freezing rains. I had horses up in Minnesota where it can be downright frigid, and even at -0 and below temps..they just  put that butt to the wind and hunker down, provided they are dry. Nothing more pitiful then a horse in a cold rain. So my focus has always been to keep them dry..not  warm. And I have never increased the grain on my horses, altho mine have access to hay 24/7.Hope this helps some  lori