[RC] Rider knee pain - Kristi Schaaf

Hi all-
After 10 years of riding with no knee trouble
whatsoever, a few months ago I felt a stabbing pain in
my knee when I dismounted. Long story short, the pain
progressed to bothering me when I posted on horseback,
etc. I went home from a trip to the orthopedist with
the diagnosis of "chondromalacia patella" (also known
as a bunch of other things like patellafemoral
syndrome, runner's knee, etc) and a neoprene brace.
The syndrome is generally not treatable, other than
quad exercises, ice, pain relivers, and of course,
avoiding any activity that aggravates the pain (ie
horseback riding). I told the ortho that I'd rather
amputate my leg than not ride, which he didn't find
very funny. Anyway, from the research I've done on my
own, it sounds like it's possible that the pain may
just 'go away' if my knee suffers no further damage,
but that aggravating the problem can only lead to more
wear and tear. So, for anyone who has dealt with this
and kept riding, I'd love to hear how you've done it.
What braces worked (or didn't)? The tight neoprene
sleeve brace the ortho gave me does seem to add
support and soften the discomfort while riding, but I
can't even imagine how I'll be able to stand the thing
when it gets hot out and I get sweaty under that
neoprene. Suggestions gratefully accepted!!! (and
Roxi, if you're reading this, we need to get together
so you can show me how you tape your knees!). Kristi
iluvdez at yahoo dot com