RE: [RC] Western States 50 Accident - Lif Strand

At 10:46 PM 7/5/2004, Mary Abbott wrote:
However, I thought the AERC represented people who cared about horses and might want to set up a few rules to protect them while we are all out on the "playing field," maybe going a bit overboard while involved in competition

AERC is what I said and it is what you said too - it does includes rules to protect horses. However, I don't believe there is anything in AERC rules and regs which required anyone to care about horses nor is there anything about AERC's representing people who care about horses (being a devil's advocate here). I could be mistaken about that.

From the AERC website:
"The American Endurance Ride Conference (AERC) was founded in 1972 as a national governing body for long distance riding. Over the years it has developed a set of rules and guidelines designed to provide a standardized format and strict veterinary controls."

"In addition to promoting the sport of endurance riding, the AERC encourages the use, protection, and development of equestrian trails, especially those with historic significance."

But there have been a lot of posts here about training for this or that, as if the horse wasn't trained and its rider was a novice.

I think if you reread my posts, I was not talking about the WS 50 rider whose horse went off the trail, I certainly never said or implied that the horse wasn't trained or that the rider was a novice. I was merely taking the opportunity to point out that whatever may or may not have happened there, it is a good thing to think about how incidents might be prevented by practice, training, conditioning.

When the AERC investigates and puts out all the facts, we will know and learn. That's all I ask. I am sure the appropriate committee will look into it, and their conclusions will be made public. Who doesn't support that?

I don't think anyone on RideCamp is against AERC looking into the incident. I don't recall reading any post that even hinted at that. I get the feeling you think I'm arguing with you when I'm not.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA