Re: [RC] Western States 50 Accident - DVeritas

In a message dated 7/5/2004 6:13:04 PM Mountain Daylight Time, lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Ideally, a person who chooses
to become involved with any equine sport understands that ultimately, the
responsibility for the safety of one's own horse lies with the rider - not
the vet, not the ride management, not other riders on the trail.
Yes, Lif, absolutely.
    The risks involved with doing this sport are myriad.
    Just keeping horses in single strand hot wire in strange basecamps with hubbub all around can be courting disaster.
    I have seen horses crippled and killed just from this practice.
    Risk management starts with the owner/rider of the horse and, ultimately, ends there.
    A rider accepts the inherent risks and foibles of this sport, as anything can, and will happen.
    And, one of the greatest risks I have seen is the inexperienced horseman/woman out on the trail, myopic in vision, limited in experience and ability, endangering others.
    When I find myself in that situation, I get my horse away from that person immediately, and, often, without grace or cordiality...safety is paramount, even before the buckle.
     My heart aches for the horse and the rider involved in this terrible accident.
     I've had an accident or two in endurance, and each time, it has been my fault...not Cougar Rock's, not sudden torrential rain or anything else....it always goes back to a decision I've made...correctly or incorrectly.
     ~Frank