Re: [RC] Letters ...NOW-- Let's get the ball rolling! - Bette Lamore

Well, Heidi, I've been breeding athletic horses for over 15 years now and I was aware of problems back in the show world in the 80's, having been involved with it and knowing some of the big guys. Don't know where you got the idea that I thought this was a brand new problem (you must be easily amused) but I'm tired of hearing all the belly aching and I just felt it was time for those of us that are unhappy with the status quo to try something new. Talk is cheap and you're preaching to the wrong choir.
Those of us on ridecamp are already aware of the problems in the show
world here. What we need is numbers to write to people in power to try
to get some changes--- numbers count and there are a LOT of numbers on
this chat room. It seems many would like to see distance and trail
riding promoted by the AHA and something done about the show ring for
those of us that also like to compete in other ways. I guess is it
easier to for one to bemoan his fate than it is to try something
proactive-- and no, I don't think just breeding more athletes is the
answer unless we have a way to let folks know about them.
It takes restraint on my part not to breed these last few years (I love
babies) but I see a glut of good horses on the market who are going for
very little money and it takes a long time to sell in CA due to over
breeding. I offer my stallion for breeding and my mares for lease for
those who want a guaranteed athlete and want to see examples of the
cross in videos I have-- and I have a buyer for every horse I breed now
in advance-- and it is for people who want their mare's baby or a
quality baby at an affordable price to raise from the ground up. I have
no need to breed to prove my bloodlines-- they're already proven.
My best efforts at promoting the breed lies in my videos and my ability
to take the Arabian and make a video that will bring a tear to people's
eyes. Even my stallion videos have had that effect. My goals are to
change the image of the breed and I do that with every video I send out.
I have sent out hundreds these last years and whether or not the
recipients buy from me, at least they have seen how an athletic Arabian
can move. We all have our own way to promote change and mine is not
primarily through breeding but rather through education.
We all have our methods and insulting each other or making snide
innuendoes does no one any good.
Bette
PS RE: your comment about

"AND using the products of our breeding
programs in endeavors that illustrate what they were bred to do."

Who makes that decision, Heidi? There are folks who believe Arabians are great cutting horses and use them on their ranches (like Katy Comacho) and those who go to the Cow Palace and beat the pants off the quarter horses (like Sheila Varian) and those who enjoy a "good trottin'" horse, like Jeff Wonnell and win ribbons in English pleasure at Nationals by training in old school methods (He is in his 80's now and I'm making a documentary of his life and you should hear the stories from this true horseman).. and on... and on. We cannot be myopic in our vision of what the Arabian can do . It's the versatility of the breed wherein lies its strength (boy that sounded familiar :-)
And don't think that show people in general aren't just as concerned about saddles and vitamins, etc.--- perhaps you should drop in on some of the other chat rooms that have people who are not distance riders but pleasure ride and show. Remember there are very few "big boys" left and lots of people struggling to afford the shows and who are just as dedicated to their sport be it equitation, English, western pleasure or reining, etc... I will refrain from using the cliché about the stones but you get my gist.
Those that want to try the petition approach can email me privately and we can see what we can do.
Goodnight

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Who says any of us are breeding THOSE types of horses??? Would we be on
this list if we were???? If you read the posts here, Heidi, you'll see
that all of those responding ARE breeding athletic performance horses!

And many of us, Bette, have been "rolling the ball" for years, and are seeing positive effects from our efforts. It was to the concept that you put in the title of your post that I was responding--the notion that we have just suddenly discovered a problem and "NOW" have to do something about it. I am likely a bit jaded on this subject, but having seen this whole problem start over three decades ago, and having been making concerted efforts to do my own small part for that length of time, the idea that all of a sudden we have to "do something" is a bit amusing.

The letter campaigns and petitions come and go, and while I applaud them
(and frequently join them), the results are from what goes on out in the
trenches, both breeding horses AND using the products of our breeding
programs in endeavors that illustrate what they were bred to do.  We will
not change the system with our letter writing unless we can point to solid
evidence that what we have is more marketable than what exists in the
"status quo" show world.  You can organize all the petition drives you
want, but the proof is still in the pudding so to speak.

I am certainly aware that there are those here who ARE breeding athletic
horses.  Lif has certainly been one of those, as have a few others.  Most
on this list are not breeders, but instead represent the very folks who
ARE becoming educated "riding consumers"--and the fact that endurance
people on the whole tend to dig into aspects of horsedom in an effort to
gain knowledge and understanding (whether it be about saddles or riding
tights or shoeing or the very traits that make up their equine companions)
is one reason why I love this sport.

Heidi (been rolling the ball for a long time already...)

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want. ~ Homer Safferwiffle

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher