Re: [RC] Letters ...NOW-- Let's get the ball rolling! - Bette Lamore

Who says any of us are breeding THOSE types of horses??? Would we be on this list if we were???? If you read the posts here, Heidi, you'll see that all of those responding ARE breeding athletic performance horses!
;-)
Bette

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Perhaps if more people put their sentiments in writing as Lif has done,
and sent them to the Commissioner there might be some ripple effect---
seems to me a better plan than just bashing (although most of the show
bashing is justified (based on my assessments of the Western Pleasure,
Hunter, and Halter classes over the last several years) and arising out
of frustration ).

Many of us have been acting on our beliefs for years, Bette. And it takes more than petitions and letters--it takes voting with your dollars and your feet.

The first thing it takes is BREEDING horses that are NOT like those being
paraded in front of the public, and the second thing is actually TAKING
those horses out and DOING things with them.  The tide IS turning--it is
rewarding to see more and more riders becoming aware of the fact that
there IS a difference in Arabians--and if one wants the sane, sound sort,
one learns about conformation, breeding, etc. and buys accordingly.

Although the overall registration numbers are down, the market for GOOD
riding horses is on the upswing.  Personally, I think this is a good sign.
Until our breed returns to sane breeding practices that tend to produce
RIDING horses, we cannot expect to market our breed as a whole as riding
horses.  Savvy riders have figured this out and have learned to shop.

I don't think we will accomplish this through AHA--I think we will
accomplish it through grassroots efforts, such as the various preservation
groups who are hosting shows and having symposia, through the efforts of
breeders who work to place horses in 4-H homes, through the efforts of
folks who do any sort of amateur sports with their Arabians (distance
riding is the largest group, but there are amateur owners out there doing
dressage, team penning, and all sorts of things), etc.  It is by DOING
with QUALITY Arabians that we can regain favor with the public.

While I agree that it is a good thing to write and petition and all that
stuff, it will do no good unless we can point to our successes.  And for
our breed, distance riding is one of the biggest successes of all.

Heidi

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail. ~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM