Re: [RC] Letters to the World -- showing - heidi

The AHA judges pool is made up of trainers, enthusiasts, breeders, etc.
and I think the majority of them try to objectively judge horses on
their qualities and merits. To state otherwise is to cast aspersions on
the integrity of some very fine people in the Arabian breed.

Then I guess I have to cast aspersions.  Although in terms of integrity, I
will grant that in many cases, it is actually ignorance.  Our judging pool
is by and large poorly educated about what constitutes functional
conformation, let alone classic type, and tends to "objectively" put up
the horses with the most extreme aspects of certain body parts that match
what they see in the major magazines and at the other shows.

The "good old boy" network is alive and well in the show ring--riding
under a judge one week that you will be judging as a rider next week.  But
you are correct that that doesn't apply to ALL judges.  The judges who
make me ashamed are the ones who KNOW what it takes to be functional and
yet persist in putting up the extremes of necks, croups, legs, bodies,
etc.  Yes, they are being "objective" all right--but they are rewarding
things that are destroying our breed.

Yes, there ARE a few judges who will heave a sigh of relief and pin a good
horse if he shows up.  But since the good horses by and large are ignored
as not being sufficiently "extreme," they rarely bother anymore.

Additionally, this push toward the non-functional extreme in the show ring
has caused breeders who strive to breed show winners to BREED for these
extreme traits--to the detriment of the breed.  It is a sad fact for those
of us who love the Arabian as he was--a sturdy, functional, sane,
well-conformed RIDING horse--that the breed HAS by and large earned the
bad rap that it gets in the public opinion.

Heidi

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards