Re: [RC] Letters to the World -- showing - Chris Paus

Not to mention the cost of showing class A! My husband
thought it might be a cheaper hobby for me than
distance riding til I took him to a class A show.

The first thing he said was, "these horses don't look
anything like the ones in our pasture."  Well duh! Our
horses aren't bred to be works of art, they are bred
to be good, sturdy, sane, friendly riding horses!

The second thing he did was add up all the fees
associated with showing.

The class fee itself wasn't so bad, about $25. Then
there was the USHSA fee, and the vet fee and the
stabling fee, and the "non" stabling fee if you didn't
stable your horse overnight, etc, etc... we figured it
cost several hundred dollars per day to be there at a
minimum, without the fancy stall digs that most barns
have. Looking at the show bill, there were only a
couple of classes that I would be remotely interested
in showing in, pretty expensive for 5 minutes worth of
riding.

At least with distance riding, we get to see some nice
scenery, spend some quality time with our horses and
friends, and make a nice weekend of it.

chris

will grant that in many cases, it is actually
ignorance.  Our judging pool
is by and large poorly educated about what
constitutes functional
conformation, let alone classic type, and tends to
"objectively" put up
the horses with the most extreme aspects of certain
body parts that match
what they see in the major magazines and at the
other shows.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
This weekend, many of you are at rides...25's, 50's or 100's.  You are the
lucky ones.  I know you did whatever you had to do to get to 'em.  I know
that each of you go to 'em with different so-called "goals" in mind...but I
also know that each of you cares for your horse and realize that "carrying
you" is the least of what he/she does for you.  LIFTING YOU is the true
effect.
~  Ryder