Re: [RC] Letters to the World -- showing - Chris Paus

Thank you for the explanation, Kristen. That doesn't
explain how a horse like my Zabbie who would be a
really classy WP horse would definitely lose to the
Big Name trainer horses who crank the noses down to
the horse's chests.

Zab has natural self carriage and presence. We have
pinned at a local show against stock horses. I didn't
try to hold him back to a QH speed nor did I try to
crank his head down. He carried himself the way he was
supposed to.

Too often, I've seen good riding and good horses lose
to the ones who are the most exaggerated.

chris

--- Kristen A Fisher <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unless it's an equitation class, it is the horse
that is being judged.
Chances are this person has more money than talent.
If she can afford Mr Big
Name Trainer, most likely she can afford a horse
that is capable of winning
classes *despite* its rider.  I would say that is
more the case of the big
name trainers winning, rather than a bunch of
nefarious politicking. They
can be selective about the horses they will work
with and reject all but the
cream of the crop, hence increasing their winning
percentage.

I have seen this happen in Region IX last year - but
I can tell you that
most likely, the 3 judges who all came from OUTSIDE
Region IX, did NOT
happen to recognize her horse and/or trainer out of
the other 600 horses at
regionals, but gave her horse the reserve
championship because it as a
better specimen and performer than all but one other
horse in the class.

The AHA judges pool is made up of trainers,
enthusiasts, breeders, etc. and
I think the majority of them try to objectively
judge horses on their
qualities and merits. To state otherwise is to cast
aspersions on the
integrity of some very fine people in the Arabian
breed.

Kristen

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith