Re: [RC] Letters ...NOW-- Let's get the ball rolling! - Lif Strand

At 05:24 PM 6/18/2004, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The first thing it takes is BREEDING horses that are NOT like those being
paraded in front of the public, and the second thing is actually TAKING
those horses out and DOING things with them.  The tide IS turning--it is
rewarding to see more and more riders becoming aware of the fact that
there IS a difference in Arabians--and if one wants the sane, sound sort,
one learns about conformation, breeding, etc. and buys accordingly.

I don't breed any more. I can't afford it. I got no support from AHA or IAHA for breeding good horses that could (and have) completed the toughest endurance rides in the USA, if not the world. All I ever got was invoices from AHA, and then invitations to participate in promotion programs that cost more money than I could sell a foal for, that wouldn't help to promote good, using horses anyway.

People come to my place and walk in my herd and somehow think these horses are "magic" or that I am a horse whisperer because my guys are so calm and people oriented. Even the unbroke horses are in your pocket, and you can lean on them, mess with them, lead them around with a string. Heck, you can lead both my stallions around with strings!

It's tempting to just say sure, I'm a horse whisperer, but I'm not. I'm an Arabian owner who treats my Arabians like they're supposed to be treated - like family, like tent horses - and I give them the work to do that is in their very genes to do. That anyone would think that is magic is, in my opinion, a real and serious symptom of something very wrong with current promotion of the breed.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano