Re: [RC] Letters to the World - heidi

 but until we had the
good fortune to come by a couple who are safe, sane, quiet, and
well-behaved, we never knew it could be so good.  I'm sure there are
some bloodlines and individuals within other bloodlines that are safe
and sane and these need to be encouraged and perpetuated.

This is another good point, Barbara.  Not only has our public promotional
arm promoted an insane image to the public, but too many breeders have
bought into this tragic departure from the classical Arabian disposition
and work ethic.  Those of us who continued all along to TRY to breed sane,
safe individuals with athleticism have been fighting an uphill battle.
But for those of us who ride, and who became breeders in self defense so
that we would still HAVE classic, athletic, SANE horses available to us,
the reward is there in being able to continue to ride and handle our stock
into our old age.

Heidi  (who just came in from infusing a young broodmare who had a foaling
wreck, who hasn't been handled much, but who has such a terrific
disposition that I can toddle out in the pasture by myself, catch her up,
flop her halter rope over the pickup bed, proceed to wrap her tail, scrub
up her hind end, and infuse large quantities of fluids into her
reproductive tract standing behind her with no restraint, poke needles in
her, syringe oral meds down her, and still go out next time and catch her
up and do it all over again.  THIS is the sort of Arab that does not get
onto the marquee--but this IS the old-time classic disposition, that the
kids in the family could learn to ride on, and that could do anything from
the local playday to the working cattle ranch to the endurance trail, and
be a joy to do it with.  I could not maintain close to 50 horses by myself
much of the time if they did NOT have this sort of cooperative
attitude...)

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown