Re: [RC] water trough - heidi

This seems to be somewhat of a regional thing.  Most Midwest ride
managers do not allow drinking from water troughs, on the trail or
elsewhere.  In the west it is well accepted practice.

I personally was involved in a respiratory virus outbreak on a wagon
train apparently spread by water troughs.  I also remember a thread on
ride camp where a mini epidemic was started by shared water on a western
ride.

Certainly there is an aspect of risk management to this sort of a
decision, but one has to be realistic about it.  If a horse is not
provided with a means to drink, the risk is very high that he will sustain
damage, whereas the risk of communicable disease spread is small, although
also very real.

In our area, management does not want us to sponge from drinking
troughs--for good reason, as one doesn't want fly spray, dirt, etc. in the
drinking water.  But--they also provide sponge buckets that you can dip
into the tanks, so that you CAN sponge.

The thing that is unrealistic about the drinking buckets is that if a
horse is sick, and his bucket is contaminated, that contaminated bucket is
STILL being dipped into the community trough, hence the risk of spread of
disease is still there.  It may be lessened somewhat by the one-more-step
approach, but it is not eliminated.  And if one is only lessening it by
one more step, then it would be equally realistic for ride management to
provide a bunch of community buckets to use, eliminating direct
nose-to-tank shedding.

Then, if riders don't want to risk a community bucket, they can have their
crew bring their own buckets (and just risk what might be put in the tank
by a contaminated bucket), and for those with no buckets, there is still a
means of dipping into the tank to water one's horse.

Endurance horses in most areas tend to be pretty healthy.  I don't worry
about this much except at rides with either horses coming from all over
the place, or lots of newbies who aren't as apt to know if their horses
are coming down with something.  At so many rides, we have to rely on
water troughs out on the trail anyway--and I much prefer to take the
chance of a respiratory disease than deprive my horse of water on a hot
day.  And I sure don't want to have to dismount at every single watering
spot to dip--I don't mind doing it sometimes, if that is the only means of
getting water safely out of a hazardous source when there IS no other
source nearby, or that sort of thing.  But if the horses are gonna get
sick at a ride, they can just as easily get sick because the horse you
ride alongside of for 3 or 4 miles sneezes on yours.  When we get to the
point that every horse has to go down the trail in his sterile bubble
because he might catch a germ, I'm hanging up my saddle...

Heidi

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton