Re: [RC] Letters to the World - Lif Strand

The letter to the editor from Raoul Baxter in June Arabian Horse World raises some excellent points, however I feel that as long as showing continues to be held to be the end-all salvation for the Arabian breed, then we are truly and ultimately looking at the end - might as well just cut our losses, close the Registry's doors and get it over with.  Showing, in my opinion, is the cause of the problems the Registry finds itself in today, not the solution.

Mr. Baxter writes that "The Arabian horse has to stand for something unique to itself" and further, that solutions to declining new owners and new registrations of Arabian horses will not be found as long as those solutions do not focus on the breed's specialty.   The Arabian horse started as a distance horse, and that, in my opinion, is it's specialty, it's very own niche that no other breed can compare to.  The right of the Arabian horse to claim this specialty is tested - and proved - almost every weekend in the United States and around the world.  Showing of Arabians has had it's time to prove it's worth to the breed.  Anyone can see where it has gotten us.  It is time to focus on the Arabian horse's tried and true specialty:  Distance riding.

I agree with Mr. Baxter - it is time for revolutionary change.  Support the Arabian horse's proven area of expertise, support distance riding, support endurance riding.  Support a use that promotes the need for traditional Arabian conformation where form follows function.  Support a use that promotes family participation, outdoor recreation, healthy bodies and minds (for horse and human!) and the positive goal of  "to finish is to win" instead of the negative "everyone loses but the winner".  Therein lies the salvation of the Arabian horse and the solution to declining registrations and ownership.  Give everyone a chance to be a winner.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA ============================================================ Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding. ~ Homer Saferwiffle ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/ ============================================================