RE: [RC] re[RC] Old Dominion 50 - Part 2 - Jim Holland - Jim Holland

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of A. Perez
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 11:10 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] re[RC] Old Dominion 50 - Part 2 - Jim Holland

Just to comment on a few of Jim's observations:

I can't sympathise with you there: letting everyone drink out of
troughs or other standing water is a dandy way to spread
strangles and other nasties.  Collapsible buckets are cheap, or
you could have begged another crew to carry a bucket for you.

Huh? Amanda, IMHO, that's ridiculous! I have NEVER in all the years I have
been doing this, been to a ride where the horses could not DRINK out of the
water troughs. Good grief! Horses mingle all over each other on the trail,
in vet checks, and drink from unbelievably cruddy "standing" water on the
trail.  You REALLLY think that horses drinking from the same trough is a
health issue????  Hopefully, riders are smart enough to immunize their horse
against any "nasties" you expect to be out there.

Ride managers sometimes provide TWO types of water troughs, such as large
trash cans for sponging and troughs for drinking on the assumption that
sponging out of the troughs may cause the horses not to drink the water as
readily.  IMHO, doesn't matter.....my guys drink stuff that would make a
skunk puke!  They sure as heck don't care about sponging in it.

--------------------

I am glad I volunteered at a ride before riding in one: I will
be much more understanding of the short-comings in management
when I finally do a ride: it's a huge effort to put on a ride,
and pretty thankless.

Yep...working a ride first is a good idea.  When you finally ride in one,
you will get an even different perspective. :)

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards