Re: [RC] Letters to the World - heidi

Wow, Lif, you get a standing ovation from me for that response!  You hit
the nail on the head, and drove it home.

BTW, in a recent Registry survey, distance riding was the #1 competitive
use by Arabian owners, surpassing shows.  It is, indeed, time that the
Powers That Be at AHA woke up and smelled the coffee.

The trainers are promoting a sort of horse that no daddy would even
CONSIDER buying for his little girl--and yet they are crying in their beer
about the success of AQHA, who has marketed that very concept--a calm,
gentle, friendly animal with a youthful owner riding, or a family
including grandpa out on a weekend outing.  I think about that every time
I walk through an endurance camp, where Arabians are peacefully tethered
to trailers and putting up with little electric pens, and then are ridden
out on the trail by children, little old ladies, and everybody in between.
They stand in line at vet checks to be poked and prodded, they co-exist
in jammed-up circumstances on the trail, and they still go out and
demonstrate superlative athleticism, time and time again.  THIS is the
classic Arabian horse--and is the one that should be on the marquee, if we
want to market to the general riding public.

Heidi

The letter to the editor from Raoul Baxter in June Arabian Horse World
raises some excellent points, however I feel that as long as showing
continues to be held to be the end-all salvation for the Arabian breed,
then we are truly and ultimately looking at the end - might as well just
cut our losses, close the Registry's doors and get it over with.
Showing, in my opinion, is the cause of the problems the Registry finds
itself in today, not the solution.
Mr. Baxter writes that "The Arabian horse has to stand for
something unique to itself" and further, that solutions to
declining new owners and new registrations of Arabian horses will not be
found as long as those solutions do not focus on the breed's
specialty.   The Arabian horse started as a distance horse,
and that, in my opinion, is it's specialty, it's very own niche that no
other breed can compare to.  The right of the Arabian horse to
claim this specialty is tested - and proved - almost every weekend in
the United States and around the world.  Showing of Arabians has
had it's time to prove it's worth to the breed.  Anyone can see
where it has gotten
us.  It is time to focus on the Arabian horse's tried and true
specialty:  Distance riding.
I agree with Mr. Baxter - it is time for revolutionary change.
Support the Arabian horse's proven area of expertise, support distance
riding, support endurance riding.  Support a use that promotes the
need for traditional Arabian conformation where form follows
function.  Support a use that promotes family participation,
outdoor recreation, healthy bodies and minds (for horse and human!) and
the positive goal of  "to finish is to win" instead of
the negative "everyone loses but the winner".  Therein
lies the salvation of the Arabian horse and the solution to declining
registrations and ownership.  Give everyone a chance to be a
winner.

Every horse can be taught to walk faster than you think.  It is one of the
most important qualities of a good riding horse.  Some have it naturally,
others need to learn. On the other hand, if you are riding a tired horse,
an easy jog is more efficient, covers more groumnd with less effort.  (it's
the rebound effect of the two beat trot)
~  Dot Wiggins