Re: [RC] Letters to the World - heidi

The article refers to the registry being down in count because people
are turning to other breeds, which we are seeing here in our local
shows. We are firm believers that the Arabian horse can be well
represented in any discipline, without paying through the nose to
participate or going through drastic or inhumane measures during
training. Endurance rides are expensive, but I've yet to go to a show
where I can pay $50 and ride all day. To make changes this needs to
start with us, the members of the AHA, AERC and any other associations
connected to the Arabian.

I personally don't feel this is just a show or endurance related topic,
it's something for all arab owners and farms to consider when trying to
market their animals.

On one hand, I have a feeling that John was e-mailing Kari privately, and
that Kari was responding publicly, which is a no-no, so I hesitate to dive
in.

But on the other hand, I would submit that this is not an issue of
individuals marketing their farms/stallions/offspring, but more a matter
of education about suitability for the sport of endurance, the changes in
the breed that make "Arabs at large" not always suitable, etc.

If not for breeding, we would not HAVE horses to ride.  It was an interest
in distance riding that pushed me into being a breeder in the first place,
as it was becoming obvious even back in the early 70s that the show ring
was encouraging breeding AWAY from the traits necessary to a good using
horse.  I became a breeder "in self defense" so to speak--to ensure that I
would HAVE a supply of horses to ride in my own lifetime of the sort that
could do the things under saddle that I wanted to do.

I do think John has a point in not having this thread turn into a
promotion of individual programs, and I agree that this is not the place
to be pushing one's wares, so to speak.  But I think that the discussion
of what families/programs have the necessary traits to be successful in
the sport is VERY relevant to this forum.  And discussion of using
conformation has been a valuable spinoff from this thread.  It is
certainly as relevant as what brand of
tights/saddles/pads/e-lytes/whatever are useful--if not moreso.  After
all, the horses ARE the center of it all.  Just my nickel's worth...

Heidi

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano