[RC] A new lesson learned at Liberty Run part Two - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Alicia Mansuetti mmansuetti@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There was another rider resting there because her horse was having some sort of
allergy problem. she was waiting for a trailer.  We told her that there was
another rider way back that needed a trailer ride too.  The Dad was feeling
normal so we headed for camp.  Right after the 12 mile mark he started feeling
bad again.  He stayed off of his horse for a long time.  Not of soul came
around us and we were out of water.  I finally managed him to get on his horse
and I ponied him for a bit.  It was the longest 3 miles I have ever ridden.
Once into camp I went in search of a nurse and gratefully found Sandy who
checked his vitals, and we discovered that he really had not drank enough. He
had also spilled alot of water out of his water bottle on the trail when trying
to drink.  When he was in camp he obiviously was worried about his daughter and
did not hydrate himself.  He really wanted to finish the ride but I told him to
rest and we had friends taking care of him.  We agreed I would finish the last
10 miles and if he wanted I would go out with him again after I finished.  At
this point our friends came in with the trailered horses.  I left out and
finished.  My friend Claire came back in the picture,because since she was
going out for the turtle award she waited on him for a while and rode the last
loop with him to win that Turtle award.

The moral of my story is that when you have new friends riding especially the
longer distances make sure they eat and especially drink!  I was so into taking
care of their horses and his daughter I never asked him.  I also realized that
I will start carrying my cantle bag again with extra water on those hot rides
and at rides that are in remote places I will find room for my cell phone!

Thanks for reading and Happy Trails!  Alicia Mansuetti

PS  Many thanks to Faith, Claire, Roxanne, Sandy, Connie, Ken, Otis, and
Vicki!!!

your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards