[RC] A new lesson learned at Liberty Run - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Alicia Mansuetti mmansuetti@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

First of all I just want to say that I congratulate Vicki Parker on a well
managed ride at Liberty Run this year.  Her trails were estremely well marked
and there was ample water on the trail.

I wanted to post my story because I learned something that should especially be
read by new riders and so it goes:

There were 4 of us riding the Liberty Run 55 on Friday am.  we called ourselved
the Foxfire Fabulous Four and we were out for a fun day.  Two of us were
veteran riders and we had a junior and her dad doing their first 50 miler and
only their second endurance ride ever.  My dear friend Faith was sponsoring the
junior and helping the dad by sort of sponsoring him too.  We are from the same
farm and I just wanted to complete that day I decided to tag along with them
for the comraderie.

The first two loops were 15 miles of fun and a nice 10 mile an hour pace.  We
were doing well.  Faith and I made sure at each check their horses were
eltrolyted properly and taken care of.  the junior was feeling a little queasy
so we made sure she had pepto bismal and tums as well as something to drink at
the stops.  the Dad never complained so we had all of our attention on the
daughter.

Then came the third 15 mile loop.  About 3 or so miles out the daughters horse
stepped wrong on a rock and hurt her ankle.  After walking a mile of so to see
if she would work out of it my friend Claire rode up and said she would take
the junior back to camp because she was going for the turtle award anyhow.  We
all appreciated her genorosity but we decided the best plan was for me to take
the Dad and see if their was someone I could notify up ahead to send a trailer
out for the junior.  Away we went for about two miles when I noticed the Dad
breathing very loudly.  I looked back to see the wrong color on his face.
Luckily we were at a pond to we stopped cooled the horses and he got off and
rested.  He said he felt a little dizzy.  We rode on for another couple of
miles when he started the breathing again  and then looked the wrong color.  We
stopped in the shade and he got off and squatted down, I thought he was going
to faint.  Luckily Roxanne road up who is a nurse asked him questions we gave
him water and he seemed to perk up.  I told her that when she found someone to
tell them we had a rider who needed her horse trailed and would possibly need
help for the Dad.  He got better and we rode on.  The trail got hot and Georgia
humid!  He got funny again and luckily we got to a water stop where we covered
him in water.  He was much improved and wanted to go on-- end part one

sleeping in a tent, then in my truck, then in the back
of a trailer, then in a gneck trailer w/no LQ, and now in the new-to-me LQ
one, you don't sleep any better the night before in nicer digs - you're
just more comfortable while you're lying there obsessing :)
~  Tina Hicks