Re: [RC] Getting through a 100 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Mary Kornwolf mkornwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here's several things that have made 100s easier for me:
1. Have a dry pair of socks and shoes, maybe even a 2nd
set of clothes, to change into at a midpoint vet check.
Great feeling to air out one's toes for a few minutes!
2. Take a short nap (or at least put up your feet) during
the long check in the heat of the day. An air-conditioned
LQ trailer can be a real lifesaver on a hot day.
3. If your horse is down to a walk because of terrain and/
or heat, get off and walk alongside - bring carrots or
horse treats to feed or just pull grass from trailside.
This really perks up my guy.
4. Bring human treats - I like sour gummy bears - to help a
dry throat. Since I often crew for myself, I do most of my eating on trail
5. Match your pace to someone else's, at least for that loop, and start a
conversation. I've met some of my best endurance friends that way! Having a
buddy can also be helpful if confusion over trail markings arises - each person
can check out a different direction and then yell when the correct direction is
identified.
6. Sing to your horses like the cowboys of old. I've made up several songs
about my horse and his pace picks up in rhythm to the tune.
7. When it starts getting cooler and dark, rustle up some kind of hot food or
soup - makes a big difference. If I don't have crew, I ask some nice helpful
person with hot water to give me some for a tub of Ramen noodles. It's amazing
how sharing everyone is about horse and rider food!
8. Late in the ride, I enjoy visualizing how good it will feel to lay down and
SLEEP like the dead. Sometimes all I do is take off my shoes; the shower can
wait til the next am.
9. Don't worry too much about taking care of your horse once you're done...just
make sure plenty of hay and water is available and throw a blanket on if its
cold. All the horse probably wants at that point is to be left the *!# alone.
10. Finally, ENJOY the feeling of accomplishment when you wake up the next
morning and savor a slow grass-eating walk with your horse as you both
unstiffen.

your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards