Re: [RC] getting through a 100 - Chris Paus

If I ever get up the gumption to do a 100, it likely
will be on the mare I'm training now. She's only 4 and
hasn't started her career yet, but she's showing lots
of promise. One thing I'm teaching her that might come
in handy on a long ride is to drink out of my water
bottles! It's a hoot.  She already liked to drink out
of garden hoses so it wasn't too much of a leap to
squirt water in her mouth from a bottle...

chris
--- Maggie Mieske <mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ride with someone you like.  Sing a lot.  Laugh a
lot.  Talk to your horse.  Tell him/her stories.
Take mini vet checks between those long miles...even
10 minutes can be a refresher.  Our horses get
really refreshed with a slosh bottle and a drink and
a minute or two to graze or eat some hay or carrots
or whatever they want.  Do something nice like that
for yourself, too.  :)  This year I am getting off
and walking to break it up.  And yeah, vet check to
vet check is what works for me.  ;)
Miles of smiles,
Maggie
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then
improbable, then inevitable."  Christopher Reeve

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! Heidi
Sowards... but then again... REAL endurance is riding behind someone who
ate egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ author unkown