From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 5:38 AM
Subject: [RC] RE. getting thru a 100

Please Reply to: Suzanne Solis gaendurance@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have never hallucinated.
Between me and my horse I never have gotten bored and I do slow 100's.

It seems that there is allways something to do or think about.
When footing is slow you need to eat or drink, wether you want to or not
just do it.
When footing is good and you can trot along I concentrate on my balance
and guiding the horse over good footing.
When it is time to stop for some reason I start looking for good grass and
water. I try to never stop unless there is grass or water.

Before I know it it is dark and we are way over half way thru and by then
you keep occupied watching for trail markers and
glow sticks.
But in the dark you must trust your horse, even when it looks like you
should go left try to stay balanced and let the horse choose the trail. They
really can see very well at night.

Just like 50's, 100's get easier the more you do.
The first 100 was the hardest one to get thru.

Good luck,
Suzanne

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers