RE: [RC] LD vs Endurance... can't we all get along? - heidi

Actually the LD in Brazil is pretty much the same as our LD (nothing
like Competitive Trail). The one difference I saw (also in Argentina)
was that rather than 30 minutes to reach 60bpm, they only had 20 minutes
to reach 56 bpm. An awful lot of LD horses did not reach criteria and
were eliminated at the finish, many of them hanging at 60 to the 20
minute cutoff. I don't recall any minimum time limits in either Brazil
or Argentina. Don't know about Europe though.

The limited speed (ie minimum time limit) is what Cidinha was posting about.
The rest likely does not resemble a CTR.  I got the impression that there
were two different classes of shorter rides--the "limited speed" ones and
other ones--from Cidinha's post.  Perhaps the one you saw was the other
kind?

I LIKE the 56 bpm in 20 minutes.  That would be an improvement on our
system, IMO.

I think we have a pretty decent thing going with our LD program
(whatever one chooses to call it) - can't see any reason to change the
rules at this point. I also don't see any problem with awarding LD BC's
- most regions have been doing this for quite a while, it's a nice bonus
for a good ride, and folks that want to race are going to race anyway.
At least with the BC there's another way to recognize a job well done
(besides just placing). And if folks are going to race 50's and 100's,
it's reasonable to learn by racing the shorter distances too. (assuming
horse and rider are both properly conditioned and prepared). Most of the
same principles and techniques apply. Just longer, and harder, and
probably a new learning curve once you move up a notch in distance...

I agree with all except the racing part.  When trying to "build" a horse
to race 50s or 100s one figures it will take at least 3 seasons.  And one
of the first lessons is NOT to go fast that early in the game.  So no, I
don't think that "learning to race" on 25-milers is a valid learning tool
if one's eventual goal is to race at longer distances.  The racing element
on LDs is pretty much a "career LD" thing, not a part of the "learning
curve" for longer distance prospects.  For the longer-distance prospects,
what IS valuable on LD is learning time management, which DOES help later
when one moves up to longer distances.  If you think about it, the LAST
thing you want in a 50-mile or a 100-mile prospect is a horse who starts
to anticipate a race when you are just coming into a vet check at 25
miles...

Heidi

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland