RE: [RC] LD vs Endurance... can't we all get along? - Stephanie Teeter

Actually the LD in Brazil is pretty much the same as our LD (nothing
like Competitive Trail). The one difference I saw (also in Argentina)
was that rather than 30 minutes to reach 60bpm, they only had 20 minutes
to reach 56 bpm. An awful lot of LD horses did not reach criteria and
were eliminated at the finish, many of them hanging at 60 to the 20
minute cutoff. I don't recall any minimum time limits in either Brazil
or Argentina. Don't know about Europe though.

I think we have a pretty decent thing going with our LD program
(whatever one chooses to call it) - can't see any reason to change the
rules at this point. I also don't see any problem with awarding LD BC's
- most regions have been doing this for quite a while, it's a nice bonus
for a good ride, and folks that want to race are going to race anyway.
At least with the BC there's another way to recognize a job well done
(besides just placing). And if folks are going to race 50's and 100's,
it's reasonable to learn by racing the shorter distances too. (assuming
horse and rider are both properly conditioned and prepared). Most of the
same principles and techniques apply. Just longer, and harder, and
probably a new learning curve once you move up a notch in distance...

IMO :)

Steph