Re: [RC] LD vs Endurance... can't we all get along? - heidi

Let me try:
In Brasil there are another discussion. Here, limited distance/category
is a ride where a rider has a time to do it. We call Velocidade Limitada
= limited speed. They are short rides: 27km, 35km, 50 km. Brazilian
riders use these rides to training his horses, to know about Endurance
and to initiate in Endurance. After a time, they run in Limited
Distances: 50km, 60km, 74km.

This is very similar to what we call Competitive Trail Riding (CTR).  And
as others have mentioned, a CTR format is a very good learning format.
There is a mininum time limit as well as the maximum time limit, so racing
is not the key factor.  This is very much like what Ed described about the
UMECRA group.

I might add (since the FEI structure has been mentioned relative to this
discussion in the past but has not been pursued) that according to my
husband, who came up through the Danish endurance system and the whole FEI
scene, the equivalents to our LD rides in at least Denmark (and I think in
other areas of Europe as well, although I am not clear on that
point--perhaps one of our European list members can comment) also have
minimum time limits, so racing is not a factor at all there, either.

The focus there is also much more on the rides being a learning or
training format for the longer distances, and although they may have
riders who never go further, the concept of the "career LDer" who wants to
race just isn't an issue there.

During the inception of the LD program here, there was a great deal of
discussion about putting minimum time limits on LDs, but the concept was
discarded for various reasons--among them being variations in terrain, the
ready availability of CTR in many areas for people who wish to participate
in that sort of a format, and the consideration that it was not felt that
this was what our riders wanted.

At any rate, I think it is wholesome to look at how other countries have
dealt with the same issue--and I think the minimum time limit is perhaps
one of the most common ways of "keeping the lid on" and solving the
problem of simply not having enough mileage or time to be able to sort the
horses out by veterinary parameters while on the course in rides of
shorter distances.

Heidi

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris