Re: [RC] Walking fast - heidi

  Hi, when I want my horse to walk faster, I walk with him.
I  just exaggerate his walk step by step with my thigh moving a little
bit foward as he puts a front leg foward  & turning my waist slightly.
Then as soon as he goes at the pace I want I stop walking with him. He
has learned to keep a fast pace at a walk from me using this method.
Also when I want to stop, I quit riding, meaning plop my butt into the
saddle & don't move with him, slows him down, and he knows that means
whoa!

Sounds like you are influencing the same reflex arc with your seat that
Dot, Barb, and I are influencing with our legs.

And it is a good point to mention that if one wants a good walk, one needs
to "ride" the walk, instead of just accepting it as some sort of R&R...
When I am "bumping" my guys, they are also right up on the bit, with
contact, and we are "conversing" our way down the trail.

Heidi

And remember, an arab's fourth gait is the spook!
~  Jeanie Miller