Re: [RC] LD/Endurance - Joe Long

On Sun, 16 May 2004 15:41:38 -0500, "Rae Callaway" <tallcarabians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 Then why don't we just drop the word "limited"?  I ride 25's and that's
about all I do and I have no trouble with the difference between a distance
ride and an endurance ride, but I will admit that I'm not to fond of saying
"limited distance."  Someday I may do an endurance ride - or not, but I am
definitely a distance rider and a far cry from your weekend pleasure rider.

That's an excellent suggestion.  (In fact, I made a similar suggestion myself
here a few weeks ago).

However, we can't just drop "limited," we need some other adjective.  Distance
Rides is the term we use for all of the organized long-distance equine sports,
not only endurance rides and LD rides but competitive trail rides and Ride &
Tie.  The 25 - 35 mile one-day rides held along with AERC endurance events need
their own distinctive name.

When I started in this sport the 25 mile rides were called "Novice rides," but
we dropped that name because not only novices ride them.  "Limited Distance" was
the name the AERC Board came up with, and it was the best among the choices we
considered at the time.  But I still hope that with all of the talent on this
list, we can come up with a new name for LD that will accurately reflect what
the ride is, and satisfy the folks who feel "Limited Distance" is a put-down.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers