RE: [RC] LD/Endurance - David LeBlanc

Heidi said:

... but this really isn't about language, it is
about trying to dilute the concept.

It's about both. I used to dismiss how powerful language is, but nuances and
connotations of words are powerful and have a lot of impact. "Limited"
implies something constrained and lesser. It's accurate, but the
connotations are one of 1st class and 2nd class. If we're just trying to
define something in a legalistic sense (as in by-laws), then we have
accurate language usage because it is carefully defined.

I also have a problem with someone being a member of the American
_Endurance_ Riders Conference, riding AERC sanctioned rides, and then being
told they are not an endurance rider. They're a limited person who might
aspire to be a real endurance rider. I don't think this is a welcoming or
inclusive message to send new people.

If I have run a marathon, I can say I have done that.  When I
have ridden a sanctioned 50-miler, I can likewise say I have
ridden an endurance ride--and hence I am "an endurance
rider."  What is so difficult about that?

Over the last few years, I've helped introduce a number of people to the
sport, and every time I explain the difference between LD and endurance, the
reaction is "Well, that's silly." I think we're making a big deal out of
something that isn't a big deal. One 50 - so what? BFD.

Certainly people can erode the terminology--but as long as
the concept is still defined in the bylaws and the rules, it
still exists as such.

As a legal term defined in a document. Many such otherwise archaic terms
exist in legal documents.

We still have to define what the increments of the sport (the
rides) are.

Yes and no. We could hypothetically say that all AERC-sanctioned rides are
endurance rides, and the typical flavors available are 25, 50, 75 and 100.

Or we could say that 25-35 is class C, 50-65 is class B, and 70+ is class A.
I think the jump from 50 to 75 is much more significant than the jump from
25 to 50. I think nearly any horse that can do a 4 hour 25 can complete a
50. I don't think the same is true of going from an 8 hour 50 to a 75.

And again, there IS a pretty clear bar between going 25-30
miles in one day and going 50 miles in one day.

I think there's a much bigger bar between 50 and 75, and since we don't
recognize that, then we ought to be consistent. The runner analogy keeps
coming up - they have different classes for _every_ distance, and no, a 10
km doesn't change definition ever. Either do it consistently, or not at all
(IMHO). BTW, there are ultra-marathons (one held on the Tevis trail, which I
found out yesterday, and the winner finishes in daylight!). As far as I
know, they're all considered marathon runners, even if some do what amounts
to an LD and others do 100s.

I agree.  And I think the AERC system is one of the most
logical laid-out systems of any sport in which I've had the
privilege of participating.  I know of NO other sport that so
carefully tracks your career accomplishments and provides
incremental recognition each and every time you accomplish
another milestone (pun intended).

I'm not sure about sports, but bridge, chess and go all have very formal
systems for recognizing levels of achievement.

Having struggled for 11 years to achieve my next mileage
chevron, I was so tickled when I got my completion on the 75
at Purple Passion (and passing the 6000 mile mark that has
loomed like the impossible for several years) that I was
laughing and crying and actually almost energized as I
toddled back to my rig alone in the dark.

Congradulations! At the moment, 2000 miles is a long way off for me.

We've debated this before and I don't think either of us are saying anything
we haven't said before. If you want to discuss it off-list or on the trail
one day, I'd be happy to, but I'd rather let this part of the thread drop.

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart