RE: [RC] LD/Endurance - heidi

Or we could say that 25-35 is class C, 50-65 is class B, and 70+ is
class A. I think the jump from 50 to 75 is much more significant than
the jump from 25 to 50. I think nearly any horse that can do a 4 hour 25
can complete a 50. I don't think the same is true of going from an 8
hour 50 to a 75.

Personally, I find that more "demeaning" if you will than calling it
"Limited."  JMHO.

I think there's a much bigger bar between 50 and 75, and since we don't
recognize that, then we ought to be consistent.

For the rider, perhaps.  But for the horse, no.  A bar, yes--but not as
big a bar as between the 25s and 50s.

I'm not sure about sports, but bridge, chess and go all have very formal
systems for recognizing levels of achievement.

As does endurance.

Having struggled for 11 years to achieve my next mileage
chevron, I was so tickled when I got my completion on the 75
at Purple Passion (and passing the 6000 mile mark that has
loomed like the impossible for several years) that I was
laughing and crying and actually almost energized as I
toddled back to my rig alone in the dark.

Congradulations! At the moment, 2000 miles is a long way off for me.

See, you DO recognize that as a "bar" or a level of accomplishment!

We've debated this before and I don't think either of us are saying
anything we haven't said before. If you want to discuss it off-list or
on the trail one day, I'd be happy to, but I'd rather let this part of
the thread drop.

Naw, on the trail I'd rather enjoy the scenery and have some energy left
to think about my horse.  I spent the whole day at PP trying to avoid
thinking about levels of accomplishment, for fear I'd jinx myself.

Heidi

In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~  Laura Hayes