Re: [RC] A questionWhat is the most common cause of horses going lame at - Lynne Glazer

In stating "rider error", Karen used the word "often" as a qualifier for blaming shoeing/mgmt. The question was "what's the most COMMON cause".

I would also agree, rider error is the most common cause, encompassing shoe/trim problems, riding too fast for conditions (ie rocks) or conditioning.

Lynne
who pulled twice with small rocks caught between frog and shoe, so don't think I'm picking on you.
but whose mare also had improperly trimmed feet for years, because of her RIDER not recognizing long toes on a cosmetically perfect shoe.

On May 16, 2004, at 3:09 PM, Carol wrote:

What is the most common cause of horses going lame at
>the endurance rides?

Karen wrote:
<Rider error.? Which often goes back to how the horse is shod, <and overall
<management.
Karen,
A horse can be off from getting a stone stuck between the frog and shoe. How is that considered rider error? The rider certainly didn't put it there. And the rider usually finds it and takes it out as soon as he feels the horse is off. Or for example if the horse takes a mis-step and trips and hurts it's leg...you can have the best shoer in the world and still have an accident, which may cause lameness. Especially if another horse is responsible. My horse was lame at one ride because a rider came up too fast behind me, stepped on Beau's back hoof and pulled off his shoe. I've also horses get kicked at rides. So to blame it all on rider error, is kind of a general statement. Just my 2 cents worth.
Carol

===========================================================At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden. ~ Maryanne Stroud Gabani