Re: [RC] A questionWhat is the most common cause of horses goinglame at - Truman Prevatt

At the SERA convention this past year this was the subject of the main speaker. He came loaded with lots of photos both optical and IR. There seems to be a couple issues, first is poor shoeing as Karen points out. Another is conformation - not built to do what they are being asked. The third the most likely cause is compensation. They are compensating for a minor stone bruise or maybe unbalanced shoeing in one leg and end up lame on another. The are compensating for a minor stone bruise on one foot and end up muscle tired (and hence stiff and lame ) on another. He had some great IR photos of stone bruises that probably wouldn't show up with hoof testers but would surely cause compensation.

It seems that this type of compensation lameness is what is seen the most - that's why it's so difficult to track down. Where it shows up is not where the problem is located.

Truman

Lynne Glazer wrote:
In stating "rider error", Karen used the word "often" as a qualifier for blaming shoeing/mgmt.  The question was "what's the most COMMON cause".

I would also agree, rider error is the most common cause, encompassing shoe/trim problems, riding too fast for conditions (ie rocks) or conditioning.

Lynne
who pulled twice with small rocks caught between frog and shoe, so don't think I'm picking on you.
but whose mare also had improperly trimmed feet for years, because of her RIDER not recognizing long toes on a cosmetically perfect shoe.

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.