Re: [RC] Recipe for doing a 100 - Joe Long

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:04:08 -0600 (MDT), <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that we seemed to produce a lot more
100-mile horses WITHOUT all the lytes, gadgets, etc.?  And horses that
LASTED for years, to boot?  Sometimes I think we gadget and gimmick
ourselves to death.  (But then I think on the whole, breeders were
breeding horses more suitable to being ridden, period, a few decades ago,
and the spinoff from that was much more available even 20 years ago.)

Speaking of horses that lasted doing 100's:  I had a moment today that brought
tears to my eyes.

Most of you know that Khalil Khai completed over 3,000 miles of one-day 100-mile
rides (out of 11,525 total endurance miles), that he is retired, 31 years old
and living at the Rocky Mountain Training Center in Colorado.

He has to live in a paddock these days, alas, due to his age and special dietary
needs.  We don't ride him any more.  Well, today we turned him out into the big
hill pasture to get some exercise ... and I watched him trotting up the hill!
We've watched him canter around and kick up his heels.  He acts like a
youngster, not old at all.  Later as I was leading him he took off trotting
ahead of me, dragging me along.

He is really something special.

(BTW, I'm still looking for photos of him during his competition years, if
anyone has some they can send.  Either scan and e-mail to me, or snailmail to me
at 1667 Marsh Hawk Circle, Castle Rock, CO 80109 and I'll scan them and mail
them back to you.)

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland