Re: [RC] 25-35 endurance or LD? - Joe Long

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:30:52 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: Skyla slstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just nothing more then "writing". In Idaho, our rides offer a
trail ride of 8-15 in conjunction with the AERC rides. Sometimes
they can see up to 40 riders just on the trail ride! Can make the
financial difference. So, when do we start sanctioning this super
short LD distance? Then, at what point does the 10 mile ride get
to call itself endurance? Think about the HUGE amount of riders
you can get, if they too get endurance points and miles, for
doing 8-15 miles! I can see that I would still be an "endurance
rider" well into my 80's. :o)  Now I will run off to hide in a
deep dark hole...   :o)

PS, only being a smarta--, BUT, this could happen...

It not only could happen, if endurance rides are defined down to 25 miles, it
WILL happen.  There will always be those who want the bar lowered for them, so
they can get the recognition without doing what is required.

Today, everyone has exactly the same opportunity to become, and be recognized
as, an endurance rider:  complete an endurance ride.  This whole thing comes up
time and again because there are a few who want the recognition but will not or
cannot complete a 50-mile ride.

My first wife Robbie had a defective heart.  She would literally turn blue
climbing one flight of stairs.  It was more personally challenging for her to
ride 25 miles than for most of us to ride 100 miles.  To attempt it was to
literally risk her life!  But she wanted to try it, and did try it, and she
finished!  I rode with her the whole way and I am extremely proud of her for her
achievement.

But I am even MORE proud of her for being someone that would never have asked to
have that ride called an "endurance ride", or for her to be called an "endurance
rider" for having done it.  She never wanted anything given to her because of
her handicap.  When her doctors made her give up her job as a pyschologist, she
did volunteer work right up until the day she died -- she was one very classy
lady.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris