Re: [RC] LD/Endurance - Joe Long

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:51:21 -0700, "Karla Watson" <karlawatson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

What happened to more elevator rides?? I'm sure there are a lot of people who
would do the 50s if they could finish the 25 and then elevator up and do
another 25 that day. That sure would be a great way to get more people who are
"thinking" about doing a 50 to actually try it. And it would help more 50s
elevator up and do the 75s and 100s.

25 years ago I was a strong proponent of elevator rides at the endurance
distance.  I worked to get Board approval for them, and used them at rides that
I managed.  But in practice they didn't help riders move up to the longer
distances, instead they hurt the longer rides:  because people who would have
entered the 100 (for example) without an elevator would start in the 50 instead,
and then some of them would decide not to elevate.

When you start a 100 you must be focused on the full 100 miles, and pace for the
full 100 miles.  Starting a 50 intending to elevate hurts that focus, and for
many riders lowers their chances of successfully completing the 100.  So I now
believe that elevators at the endurance distances are not a good thing.

However, I do think elevators from LD into endurance rides can be helpful, and
are a good thing to have at rides.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle