Re: [RC] LD/Endurance - DVeritas

In a message dated 5/14/2004 11:58:37 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Bruce Weary writes:

You mention that "we have all seen" 50 and 100 mile riders at rides who are not really endurance riders. What does that mean? That they don't fit some personal criteria you hold dear that the rest of us aren't privy to?

    Yeah, Bruce, that's what I said.
    There are "endurance riders" out there who believe that if they just ride mile after mile, chasing points, that they personify the tenets of what "endurance riders" truly are.
     IF it is only about the miles and awards, then why bother even using a horse.   Let's just hop in our big ol' trucks and drive the distance and call ourselves "endurance riders"....heck, we went a long way and we were riding, right?
     BUT, when the symbiosis is right between horse and rider and the miles are covered with compassion and in consideration of what this sport SHOULD be about (i.e., riding the miles with minimal degradation to the horse and the trails), then MY PERSONAL CRITERIA of what an endurance rider really is has been met.....there, now you're "privy" to it.
      ~Frank