Re: [RC] Heat and Conditioning - heidi

We've only just begun! This was our first ride and Storm has not been
e-lyted yet. I thought I should wait & see if he really needed them
before getting him started on them.  He eats very well, stopping to
graze on the trail and eating at any pile he can find at the vet checks.
Thanks for your advice,
Kathy

Oh, ok.  So you still need to feel your way along for a bit.  But that is
a pattern to watch [the continuing of the drop in hydration despite his
drinking], and would be the sort of thing that would make one consider
lytes.

I'd also consider, though, how much body fat he has.  Thinner horses do
show more skin tenting than those with a better subcutaneous fat layer--so
it does pay to consider all hydration parameters (gut sounds, jug fill,
cap refill, etc.) in addition to skin tenting.

Heidi

Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris