[RC] FORWARD WITH PERMISSION OF WRITER - Merryben

AERC Board of Directors,

First of all, I find it very distressing that when I asked the national
office to forward this message this morning, they refused to do so, stating
that here had been a large number of messages received and that Terry Wooley
Howe was going to make a "synopsis" of them.  I feel if any individual takes
the time to write their BOD, that the BOD should receive the full content of
the message, even if all they do is hit the delete button.

That being said, I hope you will do me the courtesy of reading this message.
To some of you, it may be garbage, although I can claim riding just about
every distance from 25 to 150 in one day (bet most of you didn't know I was
an LD'er. Guess you could say I'm finally coming out!). Funny, I always that
that every member had a right to an opinion, no matter the total number of
miles, years of membership or distances ridden.

I am a west region ride manager and put on an average of two to three rides
a year. I have been doing so since 1989. I do not award an AERC LD BC award.
An alternative is offered which we call BC-10. We have a drawing when people
sign in.  Those 25 milers who draw #1 through 10 can show for BC if they
complete the ride.  The riders and vets love this - it gives everyone a
potential chance to show for BC and the incentive from the start of the ride
to ride carefully. We use the AERC form, but do not consider time or weight.
At this time, there is no National AERC LD BC award. No one is missing out
on a chance for it because, contrary to recent publications, it doesn't
exist!

However, this argument seems to me more about our fundamental definition of
endurance. Is endurance 50, 100 or more miles, or do we now consider 25
miles to be "endurance"? I think the AERC needs to answer this question
first, before mandating a BC award on 25 miles. When limited distance was
brought into the AERC fold, it was considered a novice division with the
intent of educating and training up and coming riders for endurance. I
strongly believe that should continue to be the primary purpose of LD rides.
We all make choices in life.  We can choose to stay in the rookie division
or strive to move up. As a riding instructor I could have chosen to stay at
Level 1 and make less money or I could choose to move up the ranks and be
appropriately compensated. A dressage rider can choose to compete in
training level for years, but they do not expect to win prestigious national
awards.

We hear much about "growing the AERC".  I question how much "growth" is
necessary and the methods used to obtain this growth.  Due to good
management our organization has a healthy bank account and is able to
contribute to other organizations.  So why do we need to encourage career 25
milers? Is this truly in the best interest of our organization? How does
anything other than a novice division at this distance contribute to the
"welfare of the horse"? By encouraging an award based on speed and time, we
are, in fact, running marathons. Interestingly enough, this idea was
presented years ago by the FEI, and was soundly denounced by our board and
international committee.

Over the years my ride entries have stayed about the same - between 60 and
80 horses per ride.  The percentage of 25 mile riders has increased.  In the
early years there were 3 or 4, now there are around 20.  Most of them seem
to be on the edge as to whether or not to do 50.  If the 25 mile BC rule is
mandated then I believe my 50 mile ride entry would increase as there would
not be a 25 mile ride offered.

Obviously, I am opposed to a 25 mile BC award that must be judged out of the
top ten.  At your phone conference I hope you will discuss this matter in
preparation for the mid-year meeting.  I trust we will see the pros- and
cons discussed in the AERC News well before the mid-year.

Sincerely,

Becky Hart # 1917
West Region Ride Manager
Shine and Shine Only Rides