[RC] Feed changes/colic - Julie Fuller

My four horses are on dry lot,fed twice a day w/ free choice salt= and water.started turning them out on pasture for approx. an= hour a day to get them ready for summer pasture.on saturday= morning found my four yr.old in shock and colicing.after hours= of walking,oil and accupressure,he finally pooped and started to= want to eat and drink again.any idea,s as to why this horse= would colic? always been regularly dewormed,dosen't get any= grain or treats.we have been riding three times a week,about ten= miles at a time for the last few months.

I had nearly this exact same thing happen.... but with an older pony. Nothing at all had changed in her life, but here she was, colicking. When I called the vet and asked him that very question, he said "Do YOU always know why your stomach is upset?"

I told him her vitals and status, and then asked him "When would be a good time to panic?" He said "About now" *smile* I love my vet!

He had me come to his house, gave me the shots to give her, and sent me on my way. She was fine after the shots, and four hours of walking.... most of which she did on her own, on a lounge line, while I sat on the tailgate of the pickup. She'd walk and walk and walk, then she'd stop, and I'd say "Jynxie" and she'd let out a big sigh, and go back to walking.

In your case, I'd consider it a fluke. But it wouldn't hurt to scan your pasture for some nasty weed they shouldn't be eating.

Horses sure make life interesting, don't they!?

Julie

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness. A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help. ~ Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science, University of Dayton