Re: [RC] Heat and Conditioning - heidi

Okay, since we're on the subject, I could use some input as well. Storm
doesn't like to start drinking until after 20 miles. On our first
attempt at a 50, I decided to try without elytes to see how he would do.
He drank some before 20 miles, then drank well from about 25 miles on.
Ate consistenly along the trail & at vet checks. Had A's for gut sounds,
B's on hydration, but by the time we were at about the 42/43 mile point,
he was C on hydration even though he had been drinking lots. Next time,
should I start elyting after he starts drinking to help him rehydrate
quicker?  Kathy

If he isn't catching himself back up, then yes, he is likely a horse that
needs an elyte boost.  The horses that don't need elytes sometimes won't
drink the first loop either, and may drop a grade--but then they get
better again as the day goes on.  And yes, once he starts drinking is the
time to do it.

Am curious, though--when you say you decided to try it without
elytes--does that mean you always gave them before?  Did you ever try
riding him without them in the beginning, or has he always had that
crutch, so now he is dependent on it?  And how well does he eat?  Does he
really scarf down hay or grass?

Heidi

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm