Re: [RC] In the top ten - heidi

I can think of many times knowing where I was in relation to my (HW)
competition has allowed me to take better care of my horse.  Since I
tend to think in relation to examples,  I will give a couple of
situations here.

Assume that it is the next to the last ride of the year, for your local
endurance club.  You are virtually tied for total points with another
rider. Your horse has been going great all day.  Between your own
observations, and help from your crew, you know that the HW leader is
about 30 minutes ahead going into the last 12 mile loop.  This is not a
problem, because this leader is not in contention for the local year end
award.  The person you are tied with is behind you.  If you know that
he/she is 30 minutes behind you can slow down, saving your horse.  If
he/she is only 5 minutes behind or ahead you will have to ride your
horse as fast as you safely can, if you want to go into the last ride
ahead on points.

If on the other hand, the important rider were the first one, 30 minutes
ahead, you might as well go slow and hope for a better chance in the
last race.

In other words, knowledge of other riders and their positions
potentially allow you to ride smarter.

Well said, Ed!  And I'm like your description--my "strategies" take all
year...  <g>

Heidi

Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris