Re: [RC] In the top ten - heidi

Look, I've ridden the top ten too.  And I can't speak for any of the
other people in the top ten, but I can unequivocably tell you that I
rarely have a clue as to exactly who is in front of me, by how much, I
certainly neither know nor care what weight class those people are in,
and I will do EVERYTHING in my power to avoid letting any information I
might have about them affect how I ride my horse so I will try to AVOID
knowing what I need to do to pass somebody in front of me (nor do I let
myself worry about who behind me might pass me).

Kat, I would submit that it is entirely possible to know pretty much where
you are in relationship to other riders but still not act on that
information to the detriment of your horse.

I almost always have a pretty good idea where I am in relationship to
other riders--even when I'm plugging along doing a 10-hour 50 near the
back of the pack.  I am aware when I pass people and when other people
pass me.  I've been fitter and have ridden fitter horses in the past, so I
COULD be competitive and still riding my own ride--and the awareness that
one develops from BEING competitive does not go away.  Nor does it need
to.  In fact, it is the same skill in being aware of one's surroundings
and position that comes into play in being aware of one's horse.
Awareness of details and what you DO about those details are two different
things entirely.

In my case, I generally pass people at vet checks (or I have on most of
the horses I've ridden--at the moment, I tend to spend more time at checks
for ME, so that isn't necessarily the case).  I still know that I pulsed
down ahead of them, and that if I leave on time, I will leave ahead of
them.  KNOWING that does not in any way impact my horse, unless I make
some damnfool decision based upon that knowledge.

And HAVING that knowledge, if it so happens that I have extra gas in the
tank and want to have a little frolic on the last loop to pass someone or
hold my position, so be it.  Again, only if I make that decision to the
detriment of my horse does it become an issue.  BUT--I HAVE earned some
Top Tens by riding smart and HAVING that knowledge that I might not have
earned if I had NOT had that knowledge.  Gee, I'm 8th or 9th--maybe I WILL
leave the check on time, since my horse is fine, instead of indulging in
another pudding or zoning out in the lawn chair in the sun or whatever...
No harm in that, surely...

Heidi

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton