[RC] In the top ten - k s swigart

Howard said:

Look, I've ridden in the top ten, did it several times last year on
"EL Whacko," and, I'm telling you, those who do this know who
is in front of them, by how much, what weight class that person
is in, and what they need to do to pass them.

Look, I've ridden the top ten too.  And I can't speak for any of the
other people in the top ten, but I can unequivocably tell you that I
rarely have a clue as to exactly who is in front of me, by how much, I
certainly neither know nor care what weight class those people are in,
and I will do EVERYTHING in my power to avoid letting any information I
might have about them affect how I ride my horse so I will try to AVOID
knowing what I need to do to pass somebody in front of me (nor do I let
myself worry about who behind me might pass me).

I consider it absolutely essential to "ride my horse, not the position I
am in" and to always remember that the real competition is the trail and
not let myself be distracted by the other people/horses on the course.

And I will be so bold as to say that people who cannot successfully do
this have no business riding their horses "in the top ten" (assuming
that they aren't in the top ten because there are only 8 horses in the
ride :)).

Personally, I shouldn't give a shit where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse
and tell myself to "knock it off!"  :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards