From: "Lysane Cree" <lysanec@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 9:08 AM
Subject: [RC] Keeping food cold and safe to eat

Any suggestions on keeping food cold and safe to eat?
I have tried ice, but of course, I have to bring it
from home, and it usually melted within 12 hours  -
then I just have a cooler full of cold water. That
still works for drinks but some plastic food
containers and packagings are not waterproof! Soggy
food is gross.
I also have some ice paks, but they are not all that
cold or get warm fast.
I would love to bring tuna sandwiches, but putting
mayo in anything that I can't put in a fridge scares
me a little. I had food poisoning once from mayo going
bad and it was hell!
Any ideas (So the food stays cold until Sunday, not
just Saturday morning!)?  I am on the beginner low-
budget system, so I sleep in a tent and sleeping bag
and only have a cooler to work with.

Lysane

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt

Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the
horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action...
~  DH Lawrence