RE: [RC] [RC] Horse's Feet - heidi

They don't "just happen," something causes them.  I think they could
also be  a prewarning to much more serious problems such as founder or
laminitis.

Actually, they are due to inflamation at the coronet band, and only affect
the superficial layer of the hoof wall--not the sensitive laminae inside
the feet.  Concussion is the #1 cause, in my experience--of course,
concussion can also cause laminitis, if severe enough.  I suspect that the
continued pounding (particularly of trotting) impacts the circulation at
the coronet band for the day of the ride.

Foundered horses do also grow in rings, but it is the whole hoof wall that
is affected.

Heidi

for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland