Re: [RC] Horses that hate conditioning - Dyane Smith

It doesn't probably help to get the work done, but Sun (the "rental horse mentality" horse) used to like to play to relieve the boredom of the same trails day after day.  As long as it doesn't endanger your life, I think ultimately it's the sign of a smart horse.

Dyane
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 7:10 AM
Subject: [RC] Horses that hate conditioning

No, it's not just a mare thing.  My half arab will do this sometimes, and he's usually the one I need a seatbelt to stay on.  We'll go out somedays and it's a huge effort for him to put one foot in front of the other, then we'll turn toward home and he acts like he just was turned loose from a tie stall.  He leaps and bucks and tries to run off with me (sometimes succeeding).  Of course, Doimas is a bit unusual.  I've even considered taking a baseball bat with me just to get his attention.  This boy has never taken me seriously since the day he was born.  Can you tell I'm a little frustrated with him?  Just a LITTLE?

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ