Re: [RC] response to Heidi - Barbara McCrary

The following post is an interesting observation of a scientist at work here
in our county:
Back in the 1960s, when our local branch of the University of California was
just getting started, a young, idealistic student protested the grazing of
cattle on the large ranch property that had been deeded to the University by
the heirs of the original owner. The land had limestone deposits on it and
quarrying was the main industry in the 1800s.  The limestone was rendered
into powder to make cement by means of burning it in stone kilns, using vast
amounts of old-growth redwood for fuel.  Fast forward many decades: no
longer is limestone being quarried, but cattle are grazed on the lands.
Then the university starts building, building, building.  The property is
considered the most beautiful site for a college campus; many of the
buildings, most in fact, are sited next to lovely stands of second-growth
redwoods.  Many stands of redwoods have been removed in order to build more
large buildings.
In the early years of the university, this one particular student insisted
the cattle be removed from the campus.....they were destroying the
vegetation and the wild flowers, he argued.  The cattle were removed.  Fast
forward a couple more decades: the young student has grown up, matured, and
is seeing the world around him with more practical eyes and he notices that
the now-ungrazed land hasn't the stands of wildflowers that he notices on
land that IS being grazed.  He sets out to do some comparative studies, and
he finds that land that is actively being grazed has vast stands of
wildflowers, plus stands of native grasses, compared to lands that are not
being grazed, which have poorer stands of flowers.  Hard to believe, but
proven by scientific studies, control plots, etc. Our ranch has had cattle
on it continuously for at least 135 years and we had gorgeous stands of
wildflowers and native grasses.  And....cattle have now been reintroduced
onto the university meadows.

It sounds like the scenario below represents an overpopulation of cattle for
the space allotted.  And a dairy herd is usually managed differently than a
beef cattle herd.  Our small herd of beef cattle is in proportion to the
acreage we manage, and the pastures look great, wildflowers and all.
Maybe the person who wrote the post below needs to realize that the
privilege of being well-fed comes with a price, too.  If it came to a choice
of our nation's population having enough to eat, versus having our lands
looking pretty all the time (if indeed they would look prettier for lack of
livestock), I think our bodies would demand food first and esthetics second.
I believe we can have both at the same time.  It's a matter of wise
management.
And now, I've said all I'm going to say on the matter.

Barbara