[RC] Hillwork - Julie Fuller

Hills are an awesome way to condition with the added benefit of (usually) being a pretty place to ride. Living in the NW, I have lots of hills, and have spent the last nine years riding exclusively in the mountains.

Working up a flatlander horse takes time, but it is well worth it. I've seen big changes in gaits as well as conditioning, a lot more dramatic than with conditioning on the flat. Working on hills encourages rounding, and if you're cruising around on the trails at high speed, there is a lot of lateral flexion as well. I know my old lady pony is VERY flexible, even at 32.

One thing I have noticed since my move three years ago.... My horses are pastured 24/7 on a hill, and they look awesome though I haven't been rising as much as I would like. I especially noticed it with the mare we got about 6 weeks ago. She had been in a small, nearly level pasture, (but still managed to run around acting like an AY-Rab)

But since she's been here she has muscled up dramatically. Her butt and shoulders especially. I mean, no kidding, we're talking buff! I was shocked when my daughter rode her the other day, and I got to see her under saddle. Amazing.

And here's a question for David LeBlanc and his finely honed mathmatical mind. *sly grin* If the field is 1800 feet long, 500 feet wide, what is the distance around? And what is the % grade if it increases 125 feet in elevation on the long side?

Julie

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness. A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help. ~ Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science, University of Dayton