From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Julie Fuller
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 2:47 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Hillwork

Hills are an awesome way to condition with the added benefit of
(usually) being a pretty place to ride.  Living in the NW, I have lots
of hills, and have spent the last nine years riding exclusively in the
mountains.

Working up a flatlander horse takes time, but it is well worth it.
I've seen big changes in gaits as well as conditioning, a lot more
dramatic than with conditioning on the flat.  Working on hills
encourages rounding, and if you're cruising around on the trails at
high speed, there is a lot of lateral flexion as well. I know my old
lady pony is VERY flexible, even at 32.

One thing I have noticed since my move three years ago.... My horses
are pastured 24/7 on a hill, and they look awesome though I haven't
been rising as much as I would like.  I especially noticed it with the
mare we got about 6 weeks ago.  She had been in a small, nearly level
pasture, (but still managed to run around acting like an AY-Rab)

But since she's been here she has muscled up dramatically.  Her butt
and shoulders especially. I mean, no kidding, we're talking buff!  I
was shocked when my daughter rode her the other day, and I got to see
her under saddle.  Amazing.

And here's a question for David LeBlanc and his finely honed
mathmatical mind. *sly grin* If the field is 1800 feet long, 500 feet
wide, what is the distance around?  And what is the % grade if it
increases 125 feet in elevation on the long side?

Julie

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle