Re: [RC] FW: [RC] Wolfes attack for fun??? - Ferne Fedeli

Well, it does sound to me like the wolves do some of the same type of
killing as mountain lions have sometimes done around here.  My partner
is retired from the Dept. of Agriculture.  He used to be our "trapper"
for this area and has lots of stories to tell about large kills by young
male mountain lions.  I personally saw one at a friend's ranch.  The
lion had killed about 10 sheep right in the small pasture in front of
the house occupied by an elderly woman.  She had heard all the
commotion, but couldn't really see what was happened.  She called the
next morning and we went up to look at the "battlefield".  There were
two other cases that I know of within a couple of years timeframe.  The
other two cases involved goats that were brought into pens close to
houses (to keep them safer, hmmmmm) and a lion got in and killed 7 or 8
each time.  One kill was at the same ranch where a lion also killed a
mini horse stallion a few weeks before...
Ferne Fedeli
Mendocino County, No. Calif.

(Actually, I misspoke earlier--other predators also hunt for
fun--certainly cats do--but they don't go on the big gang binges that
the
wolves do.  As Bob said, a rogue cougar will sometimes go in and
slaughter
sheep--but it is more typical of a cat to stalk one critter, and
content
itself with one kill, instead of the herd slaughter scenario.)

Heidi

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards